Sunday, October 20, 2013

Autumn Art Class- scratch art owls

I splurged for this lesson and purchased artist grade scratch art board and metal scratchers and boy am I'm glad I did!  

We started class by coloring a page in our art journals, painting over with tempera and going on a search in my yard/chicken coop/pasture for some pieces of inspiration. Some girls found a feather and others a leaf they liked. When our journal pages where dry, (with the help of my handy dandy hair dryer) we used metal scratchers to draw our design. Thrilled isn't a word I'd used to describe the results but I knew they'd be better with the scratch boards. 

To prepare for that we practiced drawing several types of owls. Here was my example sheet they got and we went through each one and practiced. 


After trying out each owl all, the girls picked the one they liked best and drew it again but this time much larger.

After stressing that scratchers do not come with erasers, all lines are final, to take your time, and draw big, I handed them a board and scratcher and held my breath lol and to my joyous surprise they listened!



They loved this activity and I really think they slowed down because it was such a different feeling and texture than simply drawing with a pencil. 








One amazing flock of owls and girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment