Monday, August 5, 2013

Folk Art Scenes

New month, new group :) I had only planned on doing two groups this summer but I had several inquiries about openings that I decided to do just one more the week before school starts :)

I first came across this idea on Stacy Spangler's blog Sleepyhead Designs Studio. She had done this lesson with her daughters and the results were adorable! 

I hunted down the artist that inspired her and found Kasaaa Gerard. Her whimsy towns, trees and flowers just make me smile :) 

We began our lesson with patterns and more patterns and more patterns. I had the kids pass their art journals to their neighbor after they filled in a square so by the time it made it back to them they not only had lots of ideas to see, they had inspiration from seeing 6 other books.

After sketching out a design we set to work. We used a watered down light blue to get our basic shapes. This is easy to wipe off in case they want to make something larger or move it. 

Then filled in with color...



After adding patterns & outlining in black, they were finished! Word to the wise though, this lesson took a lot longer than any previous ones. If I ever do it again I'll schedule it for a minimum of three hours instead of two! 

Here are the final products!



















No comments:

Post a Comment